Episode 58: SMITH

The public-facing forums related to TPP, our episodes, roundtables, announcements, feedback, and more.
Alessnox
Client
Setlocked & spoiled: yes

Episode 58: SMITH

Postby Alessnox » January 10th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Stream or download here!

First reactions from watching Sherlock series 4, episode 2: The Lying Detective.

Alessnox
Client

Re: Episode 58: SMITH

Postby Alessnox » January 10th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Thanks, I enjoyed this podcast. I really didn't know what to think of this episode, and so it was nice to hear you hash out some of the problems.

I was pretty surprised that Mary's story was to be taken completely at face value. Yet, I still believe that TD12 will make an appearance somewhere. I wrote something like the drug as a minor plot point in one of my fic. I'll have to go back now and add an AO3 tag.
CHEERS!

Caroline
Consulting Fan

Postby Caroline » January 11th, 2017, 5:30 am

Alessnox wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed this podcast. I really didn't know what to think of this episode, and so it was nice to hear you hash out some of the problems.

I was pretty surprised that Mary's story was to be taken completely at face value. Yet, I still believe that TD12 will make an appearance somewhere. I wrote something like the drug as a minor plot point in one of my fic. I'll have to go back now and add an AO3 tag.
CHEERS!

Yeah, I've seen quite a lot of surprise (or more to the point, disbelief) that Mary's story is not a villainous one, and we're evidently supposed to take Sherlock and John's forgiveness of her at face value. Some people are balking really hard, and I can't really blame them. TST rather convinced me that that was how they were going though. I don't think that the long long hiatus between HLV and TST helped them at all. People really had built up the deeply villainous Mary with some amazing meta out there. It doesn't look too good that they're ever going to delve into those possibilities. I'd like to say "who knows, there's one more episode coming," but tbh that's looking like it's going full Holmes family backstory, rather than Mary backstory. One never can tell with Moftiss though...
Caroline, aka avawatson/avawtsn. Here for the johnlock. <3

SarahTheCoat
Client

Postby SarahTheCoat » January 16th, 2017, 7:38 am

I still need to listen to these new podcasts, but yeah, weird oppositeness series, totally not consistent with previous series, and focused on things... i at least.... really wasnt that interested in? if tst had come out the week after hlv, i might have still been curious about marys past, but the abrupt disconnect from the tenor of hlv would still have been jarring, double whiplash. the other two eps spun even more out of orbit, to where they dont even connect with the hype/publicity.
SarahTheCoat

SarahTheCoat
Client

Postby SarahTheCoat » February 12th, 2017, 10:01 pm

ok, finally had a chance to listen to this podcast. Excellent discussion, and I'm glad so many different viewpoints are represented.
I still think all of S4 is "not real". I keep coming back to Sue Vertue saying something about "if you liked TAB you'll like S4" (um, no, not really...) probably indicating we're still inside Sherlock's (or John's? who even knows any more) head. Cos it just isn't making any sense to me. S3 stories fell apart when I looked at them closely after enjoying the first watching. These episodes fall apart as I'm watching them. I can't tell if there even is a story (as was commented on in the discussion, the part about having been told in promo season that "it's a three part story" but so far, nothing holds together really), and it doesn't feel connected to what went before either. what is it they think they are "fixing" with their adaptation? I have completely lost track. All the "fixing" I see any more is happening in fandom. Thank goodness for fandom, I would not still be with the show at all without all of you. The meta I have been reading, on the music, the EMP tells, the TAB as decoder ring, etc etc etc, has been amazing.
The one thing I wasn't especially fussed about was the disappearance for the entire episode of baby Rosie. I'm all for parentlock, LOVE it in fic (doubt Moftiss will be able to do it as well as the first few dozen fics I could rattle off though), but am resigned to the baby ending up being imaginary. In the meantime, she seems to be exactly as I expected, only present when they want her to make some point, or be an obstacle, and not even mentioned when they don't want to have to deal with her. that's tv babies for you, never in the way unless it's for a point.
I guess this sounds really negative... I just didn't find the episode enjoyable to watch, I had to force myself to watch it a second time before TFP, and that took two sessions. I'm glad for others if they did like it, more power to ya, but... Sigh. What a wasted opportunity.
SarahTheCoat

Return to “Three Patch Podcast”